Plumbing Contractor in Sacramento Explains the Benefits of Whole-House Water Filtration System
Having clean water coming out of the sink is a benefit many Americans take for granted. Not all US citizens have this basic access to clean water. For example, the government in Flint, Michigan has neglected to provide drinkable water to its residents for years. In order to decreases costs, Flint officials switched the water source to the contaminated river nearby, exposing residents to fecal matter, E. coli, and lead levels twice the amount required to categorize water as “hazardous waste” according to the Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) standards. Children exposed to this water developed rashes and mysterious illnesses. It is important to ensure your water is safe as the government can not always be trusted to provide clean water so make sure to speak to a plumbing contractor in Sacramento about your plumbing needs.
According to the EPA, most water pitcher and faucet-mounted filters use granular-activated carbon and resin filters. Unfortunately, these filters are only capable of removing pollutants that affect the taste of water and are not designed to remove any disease-causing particles. Only reverse-osmosis 4-stage filters are able to remove more harmful impurities, such as lead and arsenic. This is the filtration most bottled water companies use.
What’s in My Water?
Whole-house water filtration systems, which a plumbing contractor in Sacramento can help install, are a very powerful and simple way to provide your entire home with healthy water. Below are some contaminants that can be found in household water:
- Hard water – leading to stubborn soap scum in the bath or kitchen appliances and has a bitter taste
- Chlorine – not dangerous to health for most people, but can make water and food taste bad and have an unpleasant odor. It may cause reactions in people with allergies, asthma, or sensitivities.
- Chemicals such as– metals and metalloids ranging in toxicity such as lead, iron, arsenic, mercury, nickel, copper, hexavalent chromium (chromium-6), radium, and others; Hydrogen sulfide, a gas that smells of rotten eggs that is very poisonous, corrosive, and flammable.
- Natural sediments – dirt, silt, clay and other materials
- Microorganisms – cryptosporidium: a parasitic microorganism that causes diarrhea. It can live outside the body for long periods of time and is chlorine-tolerant, making it hard to kill. It is the leading cause of waterborne illness among people in the United States. Giardia: a microorganism that can be found in soil, food, and water that has been contaminated by feces. It has a protective outer shell that allows it to live outside the body for long periods of time and is tolerant to chlorine. It results in diarrhea.
- Drugs – Puget Sound salmon were made somewhat infamous recently when samples of the fish and nearby water revealed over 70 pollutants found in prescription drugs, such as antidepressants and cocaine.
Benefits of Whole-House Water Filtration
Whole-house filtration is the only way to be sure all the water provided to your home is safe. Call a plumbing contractor in Sacramento to make sure your water is safe. Water is filtered at a low temperature, which is more optimized for removal of dangerous chemicals. This filtration system can remove as much as 96% of impurities. Whole-house water filtration provides the below benefits and more:
- Clean, filtered water emerges from every water source – kitchen sinks for cooking, bathroom sinks for brushing teeth and drinking, faucets in the bath and shower, outdoor faucets for your lawn
- Safer water – filtration prevents carcinogenic chlorine vapors from being released into the air, which may irritate asthma and allergies.Dangerous chemicals will be removed at the source, providing clean, purer water for drinking (from anywhere) and cooking (for better-tasting food).
- Reduces soap scum on dishes
- Improves clothing care – chemicals, such as chlorine, can affect the coloration and texture of clothing and may even leave stains. Filtered water allows washing machines to work my efficiently, lowing the need for detergent.
- Improves skin and hair – the chemicals in water that make it “hard” are damaging to the skin and hair. Filtered water is shown to result in softer hair and skin since these chemicals are removed.
- No need for bottled water
- Longer-lasting appliances – impurities and metals in the water in your home can build up in appliances such as the dishwasher and washing machine. These sediments are not good for the machines and can decrease their lifespan. Only whole-house water filtration provides clean water to these appliances.
- Independence – even if there is a problem with the local source of water, you are more likely to have safe drinking water with a whole-house filtration system. Always listen to government warnings, but whole-house filtration may alleviate contaminants in an emergency such as the case in Flint.
Call a Plumbing Contractor in Sacramento To Ensure Your Water is Safe
Clarke & Rush is family owned and has been part of the Sacramento community for over 50 years. We take pride in delivering excellent customer service and designing, engineering and installing complete systems for your home or business. Give us a call at (916) 609-2669 to speak to a plumbing contractor in Sacramento.